In order to prepare an authentic new york cheese cake recipe you simply need to know a few tips and tricks and you will also need to know a few Do’s & Dont`s, so that you will be able to bake a cheesecake like a new york chef, but first lets answer what is New York Cheesecake exactly.
Almost every American loves a slice of perfectly textured New York cheese cake. The consistency is a beautiful marriage between a golden cake, and a blend of sweet, creamy cheese. This delicacy melts in your mouth like a could of endless heaven. Cheesecake is an American tradition. However, this delightful treat did not originate in the states. Like many things, cheese cake was adopted into the American culture. The dessert can actually be dated as far back as 230 A.D., and was a product of Greek culture. Roman’s acquired the recipe during their conquest of Greece. The conquering Roman armies would take the cheese cake recipe into western Europe, and Great Britain. Eventually the recipe traveled into Northwestern Europe, Scandinavia, and England. As you might imagine, once America’s sister country (Great Britain) obtained the recipe, it would make its way into the states. During the cheesecake recipes’ vast travels, it developed into what it is today. Each region seeming to have given the recipe their own unique twist. The true recipe was perfected in New York. There is no cheese cake, like New York Cheese cake! Below is the guideline to prepare the original New York cheesecake recipe, and tips which you may find interesting.
First, you should know that there are some rules to making authentic New York style cheesecake. These are cheese cake ordinances which are adhered to by all true New York chefs. The secrets are now being shared with you.
1. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, add any type of topping to the cheesecake. Though many versions of cheesecake recipes call for fruit toppings such as, cherries, strawberries, blueberries, etc., but the true original New York cheese cake recipe requires that the cake be served with no toppings. If you just feel you must have these additions available, serve them in separate bowls. These fruits may be served as individual dishes with their own serving spoons. This way if your guest decide to drown the cheesecake perfection, it is of their own doing. Many great New York chefs actually take offense to seeing their perfected cake altered with toppings.
2. Do not use cheesecake kits or boxed ingredients. These are no more than generic attempts at cheesecake. They have a texture which is not much more firm than pudding. The classic New York cheesecake recipe is made from scratch.
Now we are ready to make authentic New York style cheesecake. Below is a recipe which renders delicious results. Once you serve this cake to guests you will be all the rave!
New York Cheese Cake Recipe – Crust Ingredients
2 cups of finely crushed gram crackers
8 tablespoons of melted butter
24 ounces of cream cheese, softened at room temp.
1 full cup of sugar, plus two tablespoons
1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla flavoring
4 large eggs
2 cups of sour cream
Directions for the New York Cheese Cake Recipe:
1. Mix the gram cracker crumbs and butter in a small bowl. Make certain that all crumbs are coated with the liquid butter.
2. Press this mixture onto the sides of a 10 inch spring form cake pan.
3. Place softened cream cheese and one cup of sugar into a medium sized bowl. Now blend these two ingredients with an electric mixer, just until well mixed.
4. Crack each of the four eggs in a small bowl. Then add them into the cream cheese and sugar mixture.
5. Slowly blend in the eggs until well mixed. Take care not to over beat this mixture.
6. Add the one tablespoon of vanilla flavoring and lightly blend.
7. Spoon this mixture into the spring form pan, over the top of the crust.
8. Place into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
9. While the cake is baking mix sour cream, 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
10. At the end of the 30 minute baking session, remove the cake from the oven and pour the sour cream mixture over the top of it.
11. Return the cake to the hot oven and cook 10 to 12 more minutes.
12. Remove the cake from the oven, and run a knife around the edges of the pan.
13. Set the cake aside to cool.
14. Once it is completely cooled, cover it with saran wrap, and place it in the refrigerator.
Voila! This is the original New York Cheese Cake Recipe!
Serve this cake cold. It does not need any additional toppings or additives. It is perfect as is. The cloud like cake texture, and smooth blend of flavor will delight the taste buds of all your guests!